1/9/15

HAPPY NEW YEAR - A DAY AT A TIME

dayatatime (2 of 3)
Happy New Year!! Well okay, it's been the new year for like 10 days now... so I'm a little late but hey! 2015 is here and I'm stoked about it.

2014 was a great year. I learned so so much, more than I ever have I think. I've grown more this year than any other in the past and am so proud of the strides that I've made in learning about who I am and where I want to go. It's been a tough year, but that toughness is where the growth came for so I sure am thankful for it! 

The New Year started off grand. I celebrated with family earlier in the evening and then later ventured up to a friends cabin for all sorts of midnight shenanigans. We counted down, kissed, hugged, hoorayed, and then ran downstairs for a little impromptu dance party of sorts. We're a weird bunch of hooligans, but hey, we know how to have a good time.

So...resolutions. Everyone makes them. Every year I make them. But for some reason I've never been a fan. I've always just made them because I felt like I was supposed to make them. Yeah I know I can constantly be improving, and YES I definitely do have serious goals for this year. But, I don't know, it always just seems so silly to me to sit down at the beginning of every year and make all these lofty goals...when we can't even remember what we resolved to do last year. I know some people are great at keeping them but I think I fit into the vast majority of those who forget about their resolutions by February.

So this year I said no more! I decided I'm going to try something different. Instead of making yearly resolutions, I decided that I am going to make daily resolutions. Making a goal at the beginning of each day and sticking to it is much easier, am I right? I feel this way I will accomplish so much more. Each morning (or evening before) I will sit down and write down what I want to accomplish for the day. How do I want to improve? What do I want to get done? Etc. At the end of the day I'll look back. I'll see what I accomplished...and what I still need to work on. The next day, I'll work on the things from the previous day that were not accomplished and add new tasks to get done as well.

I feel like the reason I, and so many others don't accomplish what we say we will is because we go a day or even a few days without doing what we said we would. Or we slip up and go back to old habits, so we get discouraged and think, oh well I'm already so far gone this year, maybe next year.

Each day is a new day. And taking this whole life thing a day at a time is something I haven't been good at, but know I need to do. Today may have sucked but tomorrow could be awesome! Wake up in the morning and think about the day, not the whole year. Thinking about the whole year right from the beginning is like reading the first two sentences of a book and saying you know how it's going to go, and how it's going to end. You have to take into account each individual day, each individual up and down, for what it is. It's not going to be clear right at the beginning, so looking at smaller chunks of it at a time is much more doable, and much less daunting. 

So my only resolution this year is to take it a day at a time. And to work daily to be better. Life is constantly changing, we must adjust each day accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment