9/8/13

A CRAZY START

  
Get ready for a novel post. So let me tell you people this has probably been the CRAZIEST past few days of my life! Also. Terribly sorry for being completely MIA for the past couple days. My computer is currently being stored back in London with the majority of our luggage while our group travels around Italy and France. So these posts are coming to you live from my handy dandy iPhone. Which also explains for the lack of pictures because all my pictures are on my camera. Don't judge me for them being low quality!! But, before we get ahead of ourselves, let me start at the beginning. 

So Thursday morning I headed to the Salt Lake City airport to get the trip started. Everything was going smoothly, security went fine and I found my gate with plenty of time to spare. When I got there I found out that there were 9 other girls going to London with me on my same flight so I was feeling wonderful! We boarded the plane and were all getting so excited to start our adventure. Suddenly, the pilot came over the intercom and told us that there was something wrong with the engine so they had to have it looked at really quick and make sure it was okay before we took off. In my mind I figured everything would be fine so I just relaxed and read while we waited. But oh no, everything was not fine! The plane was broken and we had o get off and our flight was cancelled!!! Um hello! This is not okay! Also lemme tell you this was my first time flying without a parent and this is also the first time something has ever gone wrong. Go figure. 

So needless to say we were all freaking out. We would miss our connecting flight in Dallas which meant no London. And we were on a deadline! Our flight to Rome left the morning after we were supposed to arrive.. Panic attacks were ensuing left and right. 

So we go to the ticket counter and this ever so kind(sarcasm) woman was being extremely helpful(sarcasm) and told us that there was nothing she could do to get us out that day, there weren't any other flights that would get us out until the next morning! The panic attacks continued... But we just told her we'd deal and she began rebooking our flights.

After about half of us were rebooked his woman aka AN ANGEL FROM HEAVEN came over to help us out as well. We explained the situation to her and as said, "Wait what?? There's a flight that goes at midnight tonight that will get you there in time!" Oh blessed day! I tell you, I wanted to kiss that woman on the face at that moment! So the re-rebooking began.

So all was well. We ended up in London late Friday night and made it in time for our flight to Rome Saturday. 

Yesterday in Rome was crazy! Our flight left at 6am so we'd had a well rested night(sarcasm) with a beautiful 2 hours of sleep. So it had been about 48 hours and I'd slept for 2 of them. Energy was at an all time high. But we were given some free time once we got here so I took a quick power nap before we went out exploring.

Yesterday we did the Spanish steps and the Trevi Fountain before I and 13 others got ditched by our group while we were grabbing gelato so we missed the Pantheon. I tell you, my luck has been really good on this trip!(again, sarcasm) 

Rome is beautiful and I love it. The Trevi  Fountain was gorgeous, just like I'd seen in the movies. Don't worry, I threw a coin in and made my wish! 

The picture above (the only picture I've taken on my phone so far) was from church today. It was amazing to experience church in another culture and language. It was just the same as it is here, and I love knowing that that is always a constant.

Tomorrow we will be doing the Vatican and a few other places (can't remember at the moment). But lemme tell you, I beyond stoked for the Vatican. My dream!! I was a teensy bit obsessed with Angels and Demons and The Davinci Code when I was younger (what a nerd) so I'm way excited to see that!! 

Well, there's more to come (and hopefully more pictures soon) but there is a little update for now! Love and miss you all! 

xoxo 

2 comments:

  1. wow, what a story! i am studying abroad in england as well. all the best to you during this time! savour the experience -- so much beauty to behold!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! What area of England are you living?

      Delete